Friday, November 25, 2011

Bearded Oysters


Every time I am pelted with pangs of homesickness for my evergreen-and-damp home (Washington State), and the pesky pangs last for multiple days, and snowball into dense desires for a Northwest trek and fervent feelings that I should migrate back.... something so uniquely New Orleans happens that I fall in love with the city all over again and wonder if anyplace else will ever seem more fun than this.

I have recently become part of a parade krewe called "The Bearded Oysters."  (Video from last year; don't look for me.)  We paraded last weekend in support of the city's Fringe Festival, which is an onslaught of artsiness and cleverness and kookiness and fun, and partially responsible for Aeli's conception.  (Stefin and I got to know each other during the show that was originally intended to be part of the 2009 Fest).  It is nice to have a reason to pull on white faux-fur leg-warmers and a mirken on a Saturday afternoon.  And get together with other amazing ladies who also had to figure out how to best attach their oyster-shell bras and whether to tie or paint on a beard.  And then, you're surrounded by other creative, joy-seekers who also think walking/dancing/drinking/singing down the road is a pursuit worthy of their time, and a feeling of community creeps around your bare shoulders.  And then you look down at your bare midriff, and realize, you are warm, and you would like a drink of water, and it is nearing the end of November.  You realize that while cozying up in coffee shops watching orange-and-yellow leaves fall outside is all well-and-good, it is usually kind of cold... and you very much dislike being cold.  


And so, another point for New Orleans.  


(I still miss the NW tremendously.  Some things I pine for: 1. My family and friends who are also family.  2. Mountains looming like Gods.  3. Clean freshwater.  4. A general leaning to the left.  5. Recycling everywhere.)


The discussion of where we'll be next year is a constant one.  My mood heavily influences my ideas of what we should do.  Two weeks ago, I really, really, felt like we should move back to WA.  This past week though, I felt once again enamored with NOLA. 


Comparative T-chart to come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If only there was a way to mix NOLA and WA so we could have the best of both worlds and enjoy it all together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...